Dallas International School provides a multi-lingual, well-rounded education for its students. We pride ourselves on our small classes, the strength of our faculty, the diversity of our student body, and the cultural exchange that happens on our two campuses. Dallas International School is a great place to learn and work!
The Teacher Assistant (Maternelle) is responsible for providing support with educational lessons and activities to teachers in a classroom setting. This position will assist with the preparation of classroom materials and/or displays for lessons planned and executed by the teacher. The Teacher Assistant will help with clerical tasks, enforce classroom rules and provide general care and supervision to DIS children enrolled our Maternelle classes (Preschool-K). This may include leading and monitoring small or large group activities. The Teacher Assistant will assist with receiving children from / delivering children to parents and/or guardians during the DIS carpool hours, and may also have cafeteria monitoring duties.
Job duties include (but are not limited to):
- Provides support to teachers in prepare classroom activities and maintain cleanliness in the classroom.
- Assists in the implementation of class lessons, activities, and special events as instructed by the teacher or Department Administrators.
- Helps maintain the flow of classroom activities by organizing and preparing supplies and materials for student use, and adhering to planned schedules.
- Develops and maintains an awareness of student needs, class rules, class procedures, and instructional materials in order to anticipate and respond in the classroom environment.
- Supervises the class or group independently on brief occasions when the teacher is out of the room and carries out class activities as directed by teacher in his/her absence.
- Assists with the execution of behavior management plans to improve student behavior as directed by the teachers and Department Administrators.
- Provides personal assistance to students as required by their age and developmental level including helping with meal times, toileting, dressing/undressing and/or other personal needs.
- Supervises students in activities outside of the classroom, including carpool, cafeteria, and playground. Ensures the safety and productivity of time spent in these areas by:
- o observing students carefully at all times
- o exercising good judgment and patience in supervising children
- o maintaining an understand of safety procedures
- o taking initiative to intervene when necessary
- o managing and caring for materials used in these activities
- Assists with the formulation and execution of plans to meet student needs.
- Provides assistance during special events and meetings.
- Participates actively in training opportunities offered by DIS to ensure continual professional growth.
- Other duties as assigned by the teacher and/or Department Administrator.
A minimum of a High School Diploma/GED and two (2) years of Early Childhood, Education and/or related experience or any equivalent combination of related education and experience. The following knowledge, skills and abilities are required:
- Strong desire and ability to work with small children.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong command of the English language and the major language of class instruction.
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues from diverse language and cultural backgrounds.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to different schedules and teacher expectations.
- Basic computer skills (i.e., use the internet, read/reply to emails and open attachments, create word processing documents in Microsoft Word, etc.)
- Ability to understand complex instructions and/or assignments given in oral or written form.
- Ability to maintain routine contact with small children and with groups of children during cold and flu seasons
- Ability to provide outdoor playground supervision in hot and cold weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and/or support a small child of 3-6 years old (up to 50lbs) when necessary to ensure child safety.
- Ability to complete CPR and other safety training and maintain related certifications received.
Associate’s degree in a related field and three (3) or more years of experience in an Early Childhood and/or educational environment. Bilingual in Spanish or French a strong plus.
In order to complete the application process, interested candidates must provide the following documentation:
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A cover letter or email
- A minimum of two references (name, address, phone number and email address)
- A copy of official college transcripts (if applicable)
- A copy of diploma
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be subject to modification or amendment at any time at the discretion of the Head of School/ CEO.
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the employee’s Conditions of Employment. This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed. This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post.
Dallas International School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs. Dallas International School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin in its hiring of faculty and staff members.