The Nurse will devote time as a nurse, taking care of accidents, emergencies, and health assessments as needed. The individual will also maintain confidential student records, promote health at DIS, provide reports and information to the Head of Secondary and other staff/ faculty as appropriate.
Job duties include (but are not limited to):
- Provides health assessments.
- Provides emergency care for students and school personnel in case of injury or sudden illness until a parent or lawful guardian assumes responsibility.
- Collaborates with other school personnel including administrators, support staff, and teachers, toward the promotion of child health and its optimal interaction with education.
- Develops and implements a health plan, school medication policy and procedure
- Establishes, maintains, updates, evaluates, and interprets cumulative health data to accommodate individual needs of students.
- Plans and implements school health management protocols for the child with chronic health problems, including the administration of medication.
- Develops procedures and provides for crisis intervention for acute illness, injury and emotional disturbances.
- Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases through preventive immunization programs, early detection, surveillance and reporting of contagious diseases.
- Plans, implements, and supervises school health screening programs in accordance with state and district requirements and recommendations. Provides follow-up services when indicated.
- Recommends provisions for a school environment conducive to learning.
- Provides information on health and acts as a resource person in promoting health careers.
- Coordinates school and community health activities and serves as a liaison person between the home, school, and community.
- Encourages parents to maintain current immunization protection as recommended by the Department of Human Services.
- Engages in research and evaluation of school health services to act as a change agent for school health programs and school nursing practices.
- Assists in the formation of health policies, goals and objectives for the school.
- Prepares the budget for school health supplies.
- Prepares first aid kits for each campus.
- Organizes, instructs, and supervises school health volunteers or assistants.
- Reports regularly in writing to the Head of Secondary and Headmaster/ CEO on school health activities.
- Interprets school health services to school personnel.
- Serves as a resource person to school personnel. Participates selectively in classroom instruction under the supervision of the teacher.
- High School Diploma
- Certification as LVN or RN
- Five (5) years’ experience with at least two (2) years as a School Nurse
- Excellent organizational and record-keeping skills
- Must be computer literate and possess the ability to use education related software and databases.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Associate’s and/or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- Seven (7) years’ experience with at least Five (5) years as a School Nurse
- Knowledge and experience working in pediatrics or as a school nurse.
- Bilingual English/French preferred.
- Ability to work in partnership with others and coordinate a working team in the accomplishment of a project.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be subject to modification or amendment at any time at the discretion of the Head of School/ CEO.